Friday, 17 August 2012

Cuntalicious

Recently I had the pleasure of meeting Lady Cunt Love. She, along with two others, The Cuntess and Queen Clit, are making juicy waves in Brighton and elsewhere advocating the reclamation of the word cunt by us females.

I have to admit I've been slow on the uptake of this one. This word has been used for so long as an extremely derogatory term and still causes shock waves when uttered that I hated it. I hated not what it represented, but the way it was used. I hate all terms of offence that denote such sacred parts and places being use in such a way and resist also those terms derived from male genitalia.

In truth I didn't really know the origins of the word cunt, so have never taken it back for myself and reclaimed my cunt. I have now done a little research and found out much cunt relatedness.

The word cunt is the only word that encompasses the whole female genitalia. Vagina only refers to the passage in to the musky depths and vulva only to the lips and clitoris. We need the word cunt to speak of the whole wonderful feminine woohoo ... and we need the etymology of it to be understood properly.

I'm slightly ashamed that it's taken me till now to assimilate that this little four lettered word, which makes you flinch, is a word derived of goddess origins and has been used by many cultures in one form or another as part of sacred language and amongst classes of priestesses.

So here is a little history lesson for you ... as learned by me two hours ago ...

Our word cunt is thought to have derived from the Proto-German word Kunto, but that in itself comes from the Indo-European word Kunti. Beautiful Kunti was a Hindu Goddess who had a powerful mantra which she incanted to summon any of the Gods to her,to father a child. Here she is as worshipped today.


Most of the pictures I've found of her depict her in flowing white robes, head covered, with hands in prayer, Mother Mary style. After summoning and conceiving a child with the sun god Surya he restores her virginity (another Mother Mary, holy virgin theme going on). So there she is, mistress of sexual power, but ever pristine and pure ... Kunti.

Therefore the word cunt derives from a time before Proto-Indo European language came to India. That language comes from the Aryans, whose origins are from Europe and Central Asia, who invaded India 3500 years ago.

The word has retained it's sacred meanings, that of feminine power and mystery, in those languages, but in our modern day completely lost and spoiled. It found it's way though to the Celtic and Proto-German language giving us a ton of offspring (excuse the pun).

There are some writings about the prefix cu being essentially feminine, giving us a whole host of words from it. It also interests me that cu is linked to knowledge and both can (to be able to) and ken (to know) stem from this. Apparently the root word cun has two paths of meaning coming from it, on is the mother and the other is knowledge. This is a clue here as to why the word was sullied, as with most of the sacred feminine mysteries, too much power, knowledge and 'cun'ning in those there parts. You can 'con'ceive an idea or a child. Words for blood relatives, kin or kind, (words which in origin refer to the matrilineal line only) come from the same derivation as kin, the wedge like opening of the Goddess.

That wonderous wedge shape gave us 'cun'iform the first writing, in Ancient Sumeria ... and this came to my mind ... that on the whole little girls learn to read, write and speak earlier and easier than boys.

I've also found out that the prefixes Ku, Cu, Qu, Qw and Kh give us a whole sacred circle of feminine deities.

Kunta means woman in several African languages. Khan which means the chief for a certain matriarchal society of steppe nomads. Cunda is mother of Buddha in Japanese. Cunti-Devi is another Goddess of 'kun'dalini energy. Kunta means literally one who has female genitalia and was used as a sacred term for a priestess in Sumeria. An oriental goddess called Cunti was also known as Yoni of the Universe. Kunthus was a Greek goddess. Cunina was a Canaanite goddess who protected children and her priestess were known as Khnt. Kun was another Indian Goddess of mercy. Quani was a Korean goddess. Qudshu a female priestess of ancient Phoenicia. Qu (like cu) also means love, sensuality and sexuality of the Divine Feminine. Interestingly too, Kunda were illegitimate female children and were thought of as precious holy gifts from the Goddess Kunda. To the Chinese, Kunda were females having no natural connection with their fathers. Qu or cu also found its way to the Welsh cw giving us cwm meaning valley, the landscapes very own deep fertile vaginas. From cwm we get coombe which is part of many place names and surnames and quim which I always associate with Victorian erotica and always says origin unknown if you look it up. Not so unknown now though, eh.

We also get our word queen from the Old English cuman and cwene, which became quean. Other related terms are the Oromotic qena, the Lowland Scottish quin, the Dutch kween, the Old Higher German quena and quina, the Gothic quens and qino, the Germanic kwenon and kwaeniz, the Old Norse kvaen, kvan, kvenna, and kvinna, the Middle English queene and quene.

At the end of all this I find I have reclaimed this powerful word. I have taken it back for me personally. I'm proud to own a cunt, I'm proud to be a priestess of cunt and I'm proud to be queen of my domain. When I told my son I was researching this he just said to me ... "When someone calls me a cunt I just say thank you, I'm glad you think I'm warm and full of depth" Ha ha, that's my boy ... but maybe you should add powerful, knowing and full of mystery too.

I hope that you too find a way to put this word back in it's rightful place and whilst you are pondering the 'con'notations of said word maybe you would like a beautiful piece of art work by Mother Nature herself to stare at. Enjoy.


The Dreadess xx

This bloggery is dedicated to cunts everywhere.

3 comments:

  1. Thankyou Dreadess, for this amazing and necessary article. To see the trail of clues that language leaves through history and a diversity of cultures of the acknowledgement of feminine power and worship (Qu/een!) is awesome and healing to shame to con/sider! I've long wondered about ken, kin & cunning, their con/nections to cunt. As women, as "Kuntis" (love this word), as physical manifestations of this ancient symbol of wisdom and knowingness, we ARE powerful! I'm also a writer, passionate about articulating the feminine, & I'll be sharing this on my Page!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aedre Kore, for your words and your share TDx

      Delete
  2. Dear Heidi,

    The picture you used for illustrating the most beautiful part of women, was taken by me in my garden. Pink, articulate, and soft, isn't it ... ?

    See: http://mario.zenfolio.com/p616234972/h3046cfd6#h3046cfd6

    ReplyDelete