Monday, 17 January 2011

Cave Girl by Mae West

I found this a while ago. The Goddess Mae West wrote this poem when she was a mere 15. One of her first solo acts was also "The Cave Girl", after the parting of the ways for her and her vaudeville husband Frank Wallace. Life often imitates art ... I wonder if she saw it coming. The poem is surprising for her age and definitely a glimpse of her ability to sum up her thoughts on life in wit and rhyme. I love it.

Cave Girl by Mae West aged 15

I got my smile from the sunshine.
I got my tears from the rain.
I learned to dance when I saw a tiger prance.
And a peacock taught me to be vain.
A little owl in a tree so high,
He taught me how to wink my eye.
I learned to bill and coo from a turtle dove.
And a grizzly bear taught me how to hug.
But the guy that lived two caves from me,
He taught me how to love.

The Dreadess xx

No comments:

Post a Comment